iSCAN (pronounced ‘eye-scan’), the Irish Science Centres Awareness Network was set up to promote co-operation and collaboration between organisations and individuals that share the common aim of fostering the public understanding of science and technology in Ireland.
To achieve these objectives iSCAN will:
- Collect, evaluate and disseminate information both within iSCAN and more widely
- Provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and the formulation of common aims
- Present agreed submissions to the relevant agencies or institutions
- Co-ordinate and facilitate the activities of members in relation to the stated aims
- Create and maintain links with similar organisations overseas.
To translate the objectives into practical projects iSCAN will, inter alia:
- Issue a quarterly newsletter
- Compile a directory of scientific and technological attractions in Ireland
- Hold regular meetings (at least twice a year)
- Promote travelling exhibitions.